The results are in, and mouths are watering!
Thanks to everyone who entered a recipe, and to everyone who took a gander at the multitude of entries (so many of them looked truly delicious!). You could use that page to meal-plan your entire month next year!
Like the Halloween Contest, we recruited 8 Judges – all of whom are self-described “Foodies” – and they painstakingly went through every recipe. We weren’t able to cook or create every recipe, so we went by our experiences in the kitchen and by taste bud. Without further ado… here are the winners!
FIRST PLACE: ALTERNATIVE TO TURKEY
Melt in your mouth Chicken Pie by Kevin-Evelyn_Edmiste
This chicken pie recipe was handed down to me from my mother. All of our family and holiday gatherings she was always ask to make this and now I’m the lucky one that always makes it.
- 2-3 lbs.chicken
- 1 Lg can cream of chicken soup
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 2 cups reserved chicken broth
- 1 stick melted butter
- 1 cup flour
- 1 tsp salt
Cook chicken til done. Reserve 2 cups of broth. In sauce pan bring reserved chicken broth and cream of chicken soup to boil. Cut chicken into small pieces and place in 9×13″ baking dish.
In a bowl mix butter, pepper, salt, flour, and milk. Mix well. Pour broth/soup mixture over chicken. Spoon batter mix over top.
Bake at 425 degree for 25-30 minutes.
SECOND PLACE: ALTERNATIVE TO TURKEY
Roasted Cornish Hens by Mary_Thomas-Meriweth:
- 2 Cornish game hens
- 12 fresh sage leaves
- 4 lemon wedges
- 6 green onions, diced
- 2 tablespoons melted butter
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 2 minced garlic cloves
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground pepper
- 6 small red potatoes cut in halves
Preheat oven to 375°. Gently lift skin from hen breasts and place sage leaves under skin. Place lemon wedges and a third of the onions in the cavities. Tuck wings under hens; tie legs together. Place in a small greased roasting pan. Combine butter, oil, lemon juice and garlic; spoon half of mixture over hens. Sprinkle with salt and pepper. Bake 30 minutes. Add potatoes and remaining onions to pan. Brush hens with remaining butter mixture. Bake 40-45 minutes longer or until a thermometer inserted in thickest part of thigh reads 170°-175° and potatoes are tender. Remove hens to a serving platter. Stir potatoes and onions to coat with pan drippings. Serve with hens.
THIRD PLACE: ALTERNATIVE TO TURKEY
Monterrey Chicken by Grace_Wright
- 1 large chicken breast split in half horizontally
- 1/3 cup Cheddar Cheese grated
- 2 bacon strips cooked and crumbled
- 1/4 c Hughes Sugar Free BBQ sauce
Remove and pan sear in butter. Top with cheese and bacon. Pop into 350 oven until melted. Drizzle with BBQ sauce before serving. Leftover turkey medallions would be perfect with this recipe.
FIRST PLACE: SIDE DISH/STUFFING RECIPE
Trina’s Jalapeño Cornbread by Trina_Parker
I begged my former grandmother-in-law (RIP) for the recipe after tasting hers in 1989, I was blown away! I tweaked it several times until I felt I perfected the recipe, and it quickly became a favorite at holiday meals, potlucks and parties.
- 2 boxes Jiffy corn muffin mix (Jiffy works best!)
- 3 eggs
- 2-1/2 cups of milk (do not use skim)
- 1 tablespoon of sugar
- 1 can cream style corn
- 1 roll pork sausage, crumbled and cooked (do not discard oil)
- 2 cups mild or medium shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 chopped onion
- 3+ finely chopped jalapeño peppers (do not remove seeds; 3=medium heat, 4=hot, 5 or more=SPICY!)
Cook sausage in a pan on stovetop over medium heat, do not discard oil. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. In a large bowl, combine muffin mix, sugar, eggs and milk (batter is best if slightly lumpy). Add remaining ingredients to batter including oil from sausage, combine well. Pour into an 8×11 (or similar size) baking pan that has been generously coated with cooking spray. Bake 75-90 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Allow cornbread to cool 30-40 minutes.
SECOND PLACE: SIDE DISH/STUFFING RECIPE
Not Captain Karma’s Sweet Potato Casserole By Dianne_Doyle
This recipe is a family favorite. Great for a crowd. I am entering it in the best Side Dish category, though it could also double as dessert. I changed the name in honor of our own favorite Captain Karma.
- 3 cups cooked and mashed sweet potatoes
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1/3 cup Captain Morgan’s spiced rum
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/3 cup melted butter
- 1 cup chopped pecans
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 cup flour
Mix together sweet potatoes, granulated sugar, 1/2 cup butter, rum, eggs, and vanilla. Spread into a greased 9″ x 13″ baking dish.
Mix together 1/3 cup melted butter, pecans, brown sugar, and flour. Spoon on top of sweet potato mixture. Bake at 350 for 25-30 minutes. Enjoy!
THIRD PLACE: SIDE DISH/STUFFING RECIPE
(Rosa Lee’s) Apple, Bacon, and Brussels Sprout Stuffing by Rbuddyroe
- 4 Slices Thick-Slice Bacon (use 8 slices if you have thin-slice)
- 1 Small Onion (diced)
- 1 Clove Garlic (finely minced)
- 2 Granny Smith Apples (cored and diced)
- 4 Cups Brussels Sprouts (shredded)
- 1 1/2 Almond Flour
- 1 Teaspoon Fresh Rosemary (finely diced)
- 1 Teaspoon Fresh Thyme (Finely Chopped)
- 1/2 Teaspoon Baking Soda
- 2 Eggs ( Lightly Beaten)
- 2 Tablespoons Ghee (or melted coconut oil)
- 1 Teaspoon Apple Cider Vinegar
How to Cook It!!
1. Preheat oven to 425 degrees
2. Cut bacon 1/2 pieces and arrange in a single layer on a large,rimmed baking sheet.
3. Bake until browned, about 10 minutes.
4. Add Brussels sprouts and add in a single layer on top of bacon. Sprinkle with salt and pepper. Roast until they begin to brown, about 15-20 minutes.
5. Core and cut apple into 1/4 pieces. Take sprouts out of oven add apple stir bacon,apples,and bacon all together.
6. Place back in oven baked until sprouts get brown and tender and apples are soft 15-20 minutes.
FIRST PLACE: VEGETABLE/SALAD RECIPE
Scrumdillyumptious Roasted and Smoked Stuffed Jalapeños by ArndtHereBaby
I discovered a love for all things jalapeño when I was pregnant with my second child. As you can imagine she has grown to be quite spicy as well, lol! Below is a recipe I concocted a few years back that makes a wonderful addition to our families historic Thanksgiving favorites!
- Real bacon bits or 4 slices of thick cut bacon (yields approx 1/3 cup when cooked and diced up)
For the poppers:
- 10 medium sized jalapeño peppers
- 1 cup cheddar cheese shredded
- 4 ounces softened cream cheese whipped
- Garnish: green onion, parsley, etc
- A dash or 1/4 a capful of liquid smoke (to taste)
Combine bacon, cream cheese, and liquid smoke.
Cut the jalapeños in half and then stuff with the cream cheese mixture.
Top with cheese and garnishes of choice.
Bake at 425 for for 15-20 minutes until peppers are tender and cheese is golden and bubbly!
SECOND PLACE: VEGETABLE/SALAD RECIPE
‘Rac’ Salad (Ridiculously Awesome Caesar Salad) by Marie_Knight
I LOVE Caesar Salad but could never quite find one that wowed me. After experimenting, I finally hit the jackpot! Everyone always asks for this on those potluck occasions.
- 1 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese.
- Salt and freshly ground pepper to taste.
- 1 egg
- 1 capful of lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire
- 3 large freshly pressed garlic cloves
- ¼ teaspoon Keens mustard
- 1 ½ large tablespoons mayo
- ¾ cup of Original Bertolli Oil (Has to be Bertolli or it will significantly change the taste!)
- 1 head of Romaine lettuce
- 8 Strips Freshly cooked, crispy bacon
- 1 cup of Plain Croutons
In a small bowl add oil, garlic and aggressively whisk in the egg. Then add Keens mustard, continue to whisk. Next add lemon juice, Worchestershire, salt and three turns of freshly ground pepper.
Keep whisking vigorously and finally add the Mayo. Give it a last good whisk and set in the fridge to chill for an hour.
Wash and spin lettuce and break up bite sizes in large serving bowl.
Just before serving add Caesar dressing to the lettuce and toss. Slowly add ¾ cup of Parm. cheese and keep tossing. Add crispy bacon and croutons and keep tossing. Finish by adding the remaining ¼ cup of Parm. cheese on top of the salad. (Do not toss the last bit of Parm.)
Enjoy this Ridiculously Awesome Caesar Salad!
Happy Thanksgiving…or ANY occasion!
THIRD PLACE: VEGETABLE/SALAD RECIPE
Napda’s American Nacho Salad by Cynthia88
Always disappears quickly!
- 2 lbs ground beef
- 2 cans light kidney beans
- I small (minced) onion
- 1 head lettuce
- 2 tomatoes
- I 8oz bag shredded cheddar cheese
- I large bag of Doritos- remove & (put aside) two handfuls of (Whole) chips & then squeeze/squish up the rest of the bag.
- I large bottle Kraft Catalina dressing
In very large bowl, Mix together cooked ground beef, Mince onion, drained & rinsed kidney beans.
15 minutes before serving, add the following in the bowl above;
Chop lettuce, chop tomatoes, cheddar cheese, squished up Doritos
Mix all ingredients together.
Next add the dressing and mix again.
Decorate your dish by adding the whole Doritos around the outside of your dish.
I use gloves vs. Spoons to mix everything.
FIRST PLACE: DESSERT
Chocolate Macadamia Nut Martini (Adult dessert) by MSPoulin
- Chocolate Liqueur
- Macadamia Nut Liqueur
- Chocolate Vodka
- Chocolate syrup
- Crushed Macadamia nut
- Martini shaker
- Martini glasses
- Shot glass
Coat martini glass with chocolate syrup and roll rim in the crushed macadamia nuts.
Add ice to martini shaker.
Add equal shots of each liqueur to martini shaker and shake.
Pour into prepared glasses and enjoy!
SECOND PLACE: DESSERT
Pumpkin Cheesecake with Cookie Crust. By Christina8100
- 12 Pecan Sandie cookies, plus more for garnish
- 1/2 c. roasted salted pecans, plus more for garnish
- 3 tbsp. unsalted butter, melted
- 2 tbsp. granulated sugar
- 3/4 tsp. kosher salt, divided
- 3 (8-oz.) packages cream cheese, at room temperature
- 1 (8-oz.) container sour cream, at room temperature
- 1 c. packed light brown sugar
- 4 large eggs, at room temperature
- 1 (15-oz.) can pure pumpkin puree
- 2 tsp. pure vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 tsp. ground cinnamon
- 3/4 tsp. ground ginger
- 1/2 tsp. ground nutmeg
- Sweetened whipped cream, for serving.
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F with the rack in the middle position. Pulse cookies and pecans in a food processor until finely ground, 10 to 15 times. Add butter, granulated sugar, and 1/4 teaspoon salt and pulse until well combined, 5 to 7 times. Press cookie mixture firmly into bottom of a 9″ springform pan.
Bake until edges begin to brown, 10 to 12 minutes. Cool completely on a wire rack. Wrap outside of pan with aluminum foil. Reduce oven temperature to 300 degrees F.
Beat cream cheese, sour cream, and light brown sugar on medium speed with an electric mixer until blended and smooth, 1 to 2 minutes. Add eggs, one at a time, beating until incorporated after each addition. Add pumpkin, vanilla, cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg, and remaining 1/2 teaspoon salt, beating until just until blended. Pour batter into crust.
Bake until edges are set but center is still wobbly, 1 hour 10 minutes to 1 hour and 20 minutes. Turn oven off. Let cheesecake stand in oven, with door closed, 1 hour. Remove from oven, and gently run a knife around outer edge of cheesecake to loosen from sides of pan. (Do not remove ring of pan.) Cool completely on a wire rack, at least 1 hour. Cover and chill, at least 8 hours.
Remove ring and bottom of pan, and transfer cheesecake to a serving plate. Top with whipped cream and garnish with cookies and pecans.
THIRD PLACE: DESSERT
BANANA UPSIDE DOWN CAKE by Linda_Marek
After my husband suffered a heart attack, I had to learn how to cook differently! Desserts were the hardest. I created this mixing together the flavors of his two favorite desserts, pineapple upside down cake and bananas Foster. I made it for the holidays and nobody knew it was “heart healthy”
- 3 T melted butter
- 2 T rum extract
- 1/3 cup brown sugar
- 3 ripe bananas cut in one inch coins
- 1/3 c all purpose flour
- 1/3 c white whole wheat flour
- 1 t cinnamon
- ½ t salt
- 1 t baking powder
- One large egg
- 1/3 c sugar
- ¼ c olive oil
- 1/3 c plain yogurt
Preheat oven to 350
Mix melted butter and extract in greased 9 by 9 pan. Sprinkle with brown sugar. Arrange banana slices over sugar.
Mixed together both flours, baking powder, salt and cinnamon. In separate bowl mixed together egg, granulated sugar, yogurt, oil. Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients. The batter will be lumpy. Spread the batter over bananas.
Bake 20 minutes, cool for 10. run a knife around the edge and invert the cake onto your serving plate.